No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Sunday 25 January 2015

VEGAN, NO FAT, CHOCOLATE CAKE



Vegan chocolate cake (with banana instead of oil)


Ingredients:
150g sugar

25g cocoa powder
150g self raising flour
1 mashed banana
250g water

Method:

Measure the sugar and the cocoa powder, and mix them together. The sharp edges of the granulated sugar break up the clumps of cocoa powder, so sieving is not necessary. Add the flour and mix, first with a dessertspoon, then with a whisk, then add the banana and water. Stir, initially with a dessertspoon, and then with a whisk, and pour into a prepared 20cm (8") cake tin.

Bake at 175C for 30-35 minutes.


Or: Use a silicon cake form and place in the microwave (800w) for 6 minutes. In my experience, not only do you get a quicker cake, but the cake rises about 25% higher in the microwave.

(It's also possible to make an excellent gluten-free version of this cake. The recipe uses vegetable oil - but you can always substitute a mashed banana.)



Notes:
You can play around with this recipe as you wish. Here I've reduced the sugar from 200g in my original recipe. I've also substituted 250g of stewed apricots and dates for the sugar - and my daughter simply used 4 bananas along with the flour, cocoa powder and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment