No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Friday 3 January 2014

5:2 DIET SIMPLE VEGETABLE CURRY - vegan


This is a recipe I make often - and I make it differently every time, depending on what vegetables I have to hand - or flavours I have in the cupboard. However, I always include cumin seeds (which I lightly fry in a little oil, along with the curry powder, when I'm not doing the 5:2 version) and tinned tomatoes.

Ingredients:
4g (1 teaspoon) cumin seeds - 15 cals
5g (1 teaspoon) curry powder - 8 cals

100g onion – 31 cals
250g celery - 20 cals
100g cabbage – 15 cals
150g red or green pepper - 48 cals
100g cauliflower – 31 cals
200 mushrooms – 26 cals

2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed - 10 cals

Plus:
400g tinned tomatoes - 76 cals 
10g bouillon powder – 24 cals

1 dessertspoon mushroom sauce - 15 cals
1 teaspoon mixed herbs 

Freshly ground black pepper to taste


Total calories, 330 - 2 servings of 165 each


Method:

Dry fry the cumin seeds and curry powder on a low heat for a couple of minutes and then simmer the chopped veg in a little water until soft. Then add the tomatoes and flavourings.

Recently I've been adding a dessertspoon of soya sauce to my curries - gives it a deeper flavour, IMO.

If I'm eating up to my 600 calories, I'll have a baked potato with this - 72cals per 100g of raw potato.

But if I'm going for a very low calorie meal, I might have this with 100g of broccoli instead of a potato.

Here's my chilli non carne recipe. When I was fasting two days a week, I'd make the chilli for the Monday, then convert the leftovers into a curry by adding dry-fried cumin seeds and curry powder.


No comments:

Post a Comment