No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Thursday, 9 May 2013

5:2 DIET - SIMPLE THAI RED CURRY - VEGAN

Oh my! I've just finished eating my first home made Thai curry - which was absolutely delicious!

As is my wont, I searched around online for simple vegan recipes, then put my own slant on them depending on what I have to hand, and what I need to buy.

The only thing I had to buy was the Thai red curry paste.

Notes:
Don't be seduced by low-cal coconut milk - it just doesn't give the same 'hit' as the full fat stuff! 

I've now found coconut milk at Lidl - half the price of Blue Dragon. Will report on how good it is when I've tried it.

Report:
In praise of Lidl's coconut milk!

I opened the can - and it was solid cream over halfway down! Only when I got to the bottom quarter  of the can did I find a clear liquid.


Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion
2 leeks
4 sticks celery
1 large carrot
1 each red and green pepper
2 red chillies, finely chopped
1 knob ginger (about as big as a golf ball)
3 large field mushrooms, cut into strips

Chop the veggies and grate the ginger

Sauce:
tablespoons lemon juice 
tablespoons soy sauce
1 can coconut milk
2 dessertspoons Thai red curry paste
1 dessertspoon garlic paste

Method:
I fried the cumin seeds in the olive oil, in a small saucepan, for about a minute, then added the vegetables, plus a little water, and allowed them to simmer for 10 or so minutes to soften.

Whilst this was cooking I prepared the sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients together and cooking them in the microwave for 3 minutes on full power, then 3 minutes on half power.

Then I combined all the ingredients in the saucepan and simmered for 10-15 minutes.

This is enough for 4 portions with less than 250 calories each. Served with 30g of basmati rice (105 calories), this brings the total to around 350 calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment