No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Wednesday, 30 January 2013

5:2 DIET - HOMEMADE PASTA AND RAGU SAUCE


(Some info on my experience of the 5:2 way of eating.)

Homemade pasta and veg sauce

Vegetarian sauce:
150g onion – 46 cals
100g celery - 8 cals
100g cabbage – 15 cals
50g carrot -14 cals
100g cauli – 31 cals
115 mushrooms – 15 cals
400g tinned chopped tomatoes* - 111 cals
10g bouillon powder – 24 cals
1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs - 0 cals
Black pepper - 0 cals

Total 264 calories 

Chop the veg in a little water and simmer until soft. Add the chopped tomatoes and the flavourings and simmer for at least half an hour.

Pasta
40g wholemeal flour 143 cals
3g bouillon powder 8 cals
30g water

Total 151 calories

Here's the method and some pics.

The calorie count for this meal is less than 300 calories:

The sauce makes enough for two meals, so, 264/2 = 132

Sauce and pasta together – 132 + 151 = 283 calories


*Tinned tomatoes vary in their calorie count - from 76 to 111 in the ones I've seen. Obviously the higher the calorie count, the better. The tinned tomatoes used in this recipe come from Sainsbury's basic range - 31p!

2 comments:

  1. So much details!!
    Very impressive..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi rup

    Glad you liked this post! Thanks for stopping by.

    Hope you enjoy the rest of the blog.

    Best wishes, Paul

    ReplyDelete