No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Sunday 2 December 2012

SODA BREAD CALZONE

This is a great picnic lunch - or a bread to take on a journey!
This is a wholemeal version - with mushrooms
In the frying pan
Ready to eat
I could have rolled the bread out a bit bigger  and flatter - so the bread wouldn't be as thick around the filling - but it was very tasty!
My daughter paid a flying visit over the weekend, and I didn't have a lot of time to make her something for the rail journey back to Basingstoke. So I quickly knocked up a batch of soda bread, rolled it out, added some filling, folded it over and stuck it in the frying pan. 

The whole thing took me about 30 minutes from start to finish. She sent me a text message halfway through the journey, telling me the bread was gorgeous - and that she was trying to save some for her husband for his lunch!

Ingredients:
200g (1 mug) self raising flour - either white or wholemeal, I've used both
1 teaspoon bouillon powder or 1 crumbled stock cube - or 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder to taste
125ml (1/3 mug) water
25g vegetable oil (I used the oil from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes)

Plus:
Mushroom pate (I use Pateole, which is lovely stuff!), vegan pesto, tomato puree, mixed into a paste
Vegan polony chopped into chunks
1 vegan sausage, likewise
2 s-d-tomatoes, chopped small
Black pepper

Method:
1. Mix into a soft dough, adding more water if necessary (wholemeal will take a little more water than white)

2. Roll out into a pizza-sized circle and cover half of it with the paste. Add the polony, sausage and s-d-tomatoes, then grind some fresh black pepper over the top.

3. Bring the uncovered half over the top of the filling and tuck in all round, smoothing the top in the process.

4. Transfer to a dry frying pan, on a low heat, and place a lid (or a baking tray) on top.

5. Cook for 5 or so minutes on each side, until you're sure it's done.

6. Cool on a wire tray - or serve immediately.

Notes:
I've kept this bread - inadvertently - for 9 days. Warmed through in a frying pan it was absolutely fine!

If using plain flour - either white or wholemeal - use 1 teaspoon of baking powder to each 100g of flour. So 2 teaspoons for this recipe.

Ring the changes with this one - chunks of cooked mushroom, peppers, vegan cheese - anything will work in this bread. Also lovely spread with hummus!

2 comments:

  1. This looks lovely. Hope your daughter made it back to Basingstoke - not far from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Recipe Junkie!

    She made it in exactly 2 hours - off one train at Westbury and straight onto the Basingstoke train.

    And she very kindly saved about a third of the loaf for her husband at the other end!

    ReplyDelete