No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Sunday 8 April 2012

Gluten-free, egg-free, parkin

This is a variation on my vegan parkin recipe - simply substituting gluten-free flour for the wholemeal and increasing the baking powder slightly:


100g porridge oats
100g gluten-free flour (I used Sainsbury's white bread flour - that's all I had in)
3 tsps baking powder
4 tsps ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
100g sugar
80g vegetable oil
220g lukewarm water
100g blackstrap molasses - warmed and added after the oil and water

Mix the dry ingredients (only sieving the baking powder), then add the oil, the water and the molasses.

Stir with a spoon and whisk until smooth, then pour into a 8" cake tin. I used this star-shaped silicon cake mold which is 9" across between the points, and 6.5" across the middle and it's 1.5" deep.

Just before baking...

And just after baking
Bake for about 40 minutes at 175C - and it's done when a skewer comes out clean.

Apart from being a bit lighter than the one made with wheat flour, it was indistinguishable - the combination of the ginger and molasses along with the porridge oats make this a truly memorable cake.

My son was well pleased - he always has a problem with the gluten in ordinary cakes.

I've since tried it with Dove's GF brown flour, and it seems to be a little heavier than the white GF flour - which is closer to the original, I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment