My sourdough recipe.
Latest attempt! 19th May.
Preparing the ferment:
Around 6 this evening I took the starter from the fridge and added 200g water and 100g white flour, mixed it together and left it on the worktop.
Preparing the dough:
6 hours later it was bubbling nicely, so I poured 450g of starter into a bowl. This comprised of:
150g white flour
To this I added:
350g white flour
I mixed it together roughly, covered it, and left it overnight.
The following morning I came down to this:
|So far, so good|
|Decided to shape it using oil - stretched it and folded it a few times, refreshing the oil once or twice|
|And a little flour.|
[More to come, including my conclusions!]
(Not sure to which this refers!)
Saturday 12th May.
Overnight I soaked a handful of sultanas in the discard. For breakfast I made about half of the discard into 8 pikelets, five of which I had for breakfast, with orange and ginger marmalade.
|I've turned over a couple to show the colour underneath|
|The starter, bubbling up nicely. It'll go in the fridge from now on.|
Good head on top of the starter tonight, so we're off and running.
Removed 300g of starter and refreshed with 50g wholemeal flour and 100g of water.
I've always been a great advocate of using the discard - I hate throwing good food away! - so tomorrow I shall make some sourdough pikelets for breakfast.
Thursday 10th May.
Added 50g wholemeal flour plus 100g water.
Wednesday 9th May 2012.
Began my umpteenth go at sourdough tonight:
20g of organic spelt
80g Dove's organic wholemeal
Put all the ingredients in a Kilner jar, stirred together and left on the worktop.
I'm going to try once again to make a sourdough wholemeal bread that tastes better than my current wholemeal. We'll see.
Sunday 10th July.
Here's my latest sourdough after spending a couple of days in the company of some real experts.
Friday 1st April.
For general info on sourdough and how I began my latest foray into the subject, read on:
I say in my daily bread thread I'm not really a fan. It's too unpredictable in my experience - I like to know that when I've shaped some bread it'll be ready to go into the oven within the hour or so; and, since I already make bread that satisfies me flavourwise - using wholemeal, I'm not convinced there's much of an increase in taste.
However, there's one other way of using a sourdough starter I'd like to try out - one which is used by many European bakeries - adding some leaven to each batch of home-made bread.
This is exactly the procedure adopted by a large plant bakery I visited in Pecs, southern Hungary about ten years ago.
(I fixed on the ratio of 2:1 - 100g water to 50g flour - so that it's easy to subtract those amounts from the ingredients when I come to make a batch of bread. Won't be for several days, since there's plenty in the freezer ATM.)
|This took exactly 48 hours|
|One dessertspoon of batter for each pikelet|
Thursday, day 4.
Divided and refreshed again.
It's important to say that at this stage the starter separates into two components - all the flour sinks to the bottom, and there is a clear dark liquid on top - 'hooch'. Some say that this can be discarded, but if you do that the flour:liquid balance goes out of the window - which only matters if need to know exactly how much flour and water your starter contains. It's perfectly safe just to stir this in before using.
I added the same amount of flour and water to the discard, plus a dessertspoon of flour to thicken it to the right consistency for pikelets. Added 100g of sultanas (probably too many) and made 8 pikelets for Friday's breakfast (won't have time to cook in the morning).
Friday evening. Just looked at the batter for tomorrow's pikelets and it's almost solid! The fruit must have sucked up most of the water from the batter - so tomorrow I'll need to add a lot more water.
Won't refresh the starter again until Sunday evening, as I won't be needing any more pikelets until Monday. (Sunday breakfast is always porridge for me!)
Sunday, day 7.
Divided and refreshed the starter. To the discard I added 25g water and 50g flour ready to make pikelets on the Monday. I also put 50g sultanas to soak - keeping the fruit and batter separate, this time.
|After about 8 hours on my worktop this was how it looked.|
|This time, you could taste the difference|
Friday 1st April 2011.
I've had 450g of ferment in the fridge for the past week, and this morning I took it out of the fridge first thing.
Around 5 in the evening it looked quite active I poured it all into a jug and washed up the Kilner jar. I then poured 150g back in the Kilner jar and added 200g of water and 100g of white flour, leaving it out on the worktop for the moment.
To the 300g of ferment I added 200g of Doves organic wholemeal and 200g of water.
Around an hour later I noticed a few large bubbles had appeared;
By 7.40 the starter was expanding and was up to 750ml on the side of the jug;
By 8.05 it was up to 825ml;
At 8.40 it had risen to 875ml