No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Thursday 30 January 2014

BREAD IN 13 MINUTES - NOW WITH PICS!

30th January 2014
It's been very remiss of me, but I still hadn't posted a pic of this bread - so here's a veritable portfolio!


The finished article! The bap(?) - a little thicker than I wanted
I've been extolling the virtues of this easy,versatile bread on this Local Mumsnet thread - and when one of the posters on there, blueyama, made it and asked, "Is this how it's supposed to look?" I realised that I simply have to get a photo of the bread on this.


I put the frying pan on a low heat, then followed the recipe below, shaped the dough into a flattish disc, popped it into the frying pan and turned the heat up to medium(ish) for 5 minutes. 

From above...
From the side
After five minutes


The underneath

The top - slightly singed, which mattered not one iota!

And split, prior to spreading with olive oil and adding vegan cheese, mushroom pate and sliced tomato (from the freezer.
2nd September 2012
As I'm fond of saying to my students, “You’re never out of bread with a bag of self raising flour in the cupboard...


I needed some bread in a hurry for my wife – who isn’t fond of my wholemeal rolls – so I made a quick soda bread in the frying pan, which took me all of 13 minutes.

100g s/raising flour
Large pinch of salt
65g water

Mixed into a soft, squishy dough – knead it briefly – pressed it out into a disc about 1.5-2cm thick and popped it into a frying pan on a medium heat. This took me about 3 minutes from first having the idea.

Baked it for 5 minutes each side and wrapped it in a tea-towel whilst I made her an omelette.

The result was a large soft, warm bap – which went down very well!

No pics, I’m afraid, since it disappeared very quickly. 

Total cost - less than 4p for the ingredients.

Made a version of this several times over the past week.

First I trebled the ingredients - and managed to get 3 in my 30cm cast-iron frying pan. One for immediate use and 2 for the freezer.


Then I made one using Dove's wholemeal bread flour and a teaspoon of baking powder. To this I added a heaped dessertspoon of chopped tomatoes with a good glug of oil from the jar. I had intended to include half a teaspoon of Marigold (instead of salt) but I forgot. However, it didn't need it - the bread was so tasty that I was munching on it whilst waiting for my leftover curry to heat up.


And today I thought I'd make some sizzlers using this method. I used the above  recipe and divided the dough into two. I rolled them both into circles, placed a strip of fried mushrooms over the middle and covered them with a little grated vegan cheese and some yeast flakes. folded them over and placed them in the warm frying pan.


After adjusting the heat I cooked them for 4-5 minutes each side. And this time I have got some pics!


Before cooking...
4-5 minutes on each side
They were very tasty, although I could have done with more mushrooms!

3 comments:

  1. I just made that - it was great, although I used a bit too much salt. I think a small pinch would do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi madpiano

    Salt's a bit difficult, since it's a personal thing.

    I nearly said 8th of a teaspoon of salt, but that becomes a little unwieldy.

    Still, you'll know next time!

    Cheers, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul, this is amazing, I'm going to try it this afternoon. Does it matter if it's a non-stick frying pan or not? Do you put a lid on? I guess I'll find out... trial and error. Thanks! x

    ReplyDelete