No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Wednesday 24 February 2010

Teaching breadmaking - and other things

Since I took up teaching at the age of 55 - and never thought I could be a teacher before that - I'm of the opinion that there are many others who could teach, given the opportunity.

So this part of my blog is aimed at those cooks, not necessarily bread makers, who think they have something of value they'd like to pass on to others.

I was trained as a teacher of adults, but I've sort of drifted into teaching families (parents and children) - and a large part of my teaching is with Adults with Learning Disabilities and Difficulties.

My teaching style is relaxed, non-judgmental, welcoming. [Carl Rodgers]

Always at the back of my mind when I'm teaching is my early training as a teacher of adults, when we examined the many 'barriers to learning' that hold a lot of adults back from returning to education.

So I try and make the learning situation as friendly and as relaxed as possible.

(I'll add to this as I get time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment